Labels

Friday, January 30, 2015

DIY Mirrored Vanity

I have been coveting the mirrored vanity below for many many months.  However, spending $1,300 just wasn't in the works and thus I decided to venture to make one myself.

I browsed the Buy Sell Trade groups in my area and finally found one I thought had potential.  It needed a lot of work though, so here is my tutorial for my DIY mirrored vanity.

What You'll Need
Piece of Furniture to Refinish
Metallic Finish Paint $3.76
Gorilla Glue $4.97
Mirrors, Cut to Size
Sandpaper $2 (depending on refinishing needs)
Champagne Paint $15.54


Step 1: Find your piece
It could be something you find online, at a flea market, or even in your own house.  Just find a piece that works for you and fits in your space.  Mine was $50 on a BST group on Facebook.  When I brought it home, it had wallpaper glued on top (hard to see in photos below), antique handles and flaking grey paint.  But it was $50, so who cares.

Step 2: Strip/Prime/Paint (where applicable)
I did what I could removing the paint with sandpaper and then used Mirror Finish spray paint to spray all the places that would show outside the mirrors (don't waste paint on those that won't).


Leaving that time to dry (about 3 hours), I then took some leftover champagne paint from my kitchen project and painted the edges (trim) of the piece).


Step 3: Measure & Have Mirrors Cut
I began this project with the idea in my head that I'd just cut the mirror myself.  I went to Home Depot and picked up a cheap wall mirror and a glass cutting tool kit.  I tried a couple of times but all I succeeded in was breaking a couple pieces of mirror.  My hands weren't steady enough to get the cutter in a straight line and in the end I decided to leave it to the professionals.  First I inquired with a local glass cutting company, but they charged $10 a cut - yikes!  I checked online at the bigger box retailers and found out Lowe's will cut glass if you purchase there.  

I headed over with my measurements and encountered another hiccup.  I wanted to optimize the amount of glass I got out of each piece (they only had 24 x 36 pieces) so I had to plan out all the cuts to ensure the maximum amount of mirror (and least amount of waste) from each.  This took me back home with a return the next day, finally getting this done.  I can't say these guys were that enthused to help me and at first they told me they didn't have mirror/do cutting until I walked them over and showed them where it was.  So don't let them tell you they don't if you do the same!  I left with my cuts 30 minutes (and a couple breaks later) and in the end spent $35.  

Finally it was time to attach the mirrors to the piece.  I used gorilla glue and found it worked like a charm.  I just made sure to have all my pieces clamped with painters tape while they dried.


Once all the mirror was finished and dry, I glued some handles on with the remaining gorilla glue. Adding some decor and I was finished with my piece.  It did end up a little short so I may end up attaching some caster wheels to add some height but otherwise it works out great!  And at $100 (with caster wheels) versus $1,300 I think I'm satisfied!





No comments:

Post a Comment