Labels

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

DIY Antique Mirrored Serving Tray - One of a Kind - Affordable Gifts #3

Thankfully after the personalized frame disaster, I found something that worked out a little better.

Materials required:
Mirror (pick based on desired size of tray)
Drill
Paint stripper
Muriatic acid
Black paint (regular latex will work fine)
Sponge on stick (one large one will be easiest)
Rags
Paper towels
Nitrile gloves (for working with chemicals)
Safety glasses
Paint brush
Spray Bottle

I picked up a cool oval mirror at Big Lots for $25.  It had an antique restoration hardware look I thought would be perfect for my brother and sister in laws apartment.  It was a pretty large mirror, but I figured that would work perfectly for a tray.

To start out, I pulled all the pieces of the mirror apart (pretty simple, since it just required a drill to remove the back screws).  I now had a backing, a frame, and a mirror.

To start, I picked up drawer pulls (similar, exact ones not shown online) for $6.  I also got Paint Stripper for $10 and Muriatic Acid for $7, along with a spray bottle for $3.77.  Adding some black paint for $0.50 I was in and out for less than $30.



To start, I drilled small holes using the 5/8" drill bit in the sides of my mirror, lining them up with the drawer pulls.  I then drilled the screws through the holes, securing them in the drawer pulls until they were tight.  

Next, I used the paint thinner to remove the paint on the back of the mirror.  It took me a couple of passes with a paint brush and the thinner to get everything off.  Be careful with this stuff and wear gloves - I accidentally got some on my arm and it burned!  Thankfully, with some intense rinsing with soap and water I got it off my skin.

Next, once the mirror is dry and all paint is removed, I rinsed it in the sink to remove any excess paint flakes.  I then took it outside and placed it on a towel with the previously painted side facing up.  I carefully poured the muriatic acid into the spray bottle (wear gloves and safety glasses for this) and then sprayed the acid onto the mirror.  I realized that since I used a "safer" version, I had to spray all over the mirror, wipe with paper towels, and then spray again.  I also had to let the second spray sit for an hour to get it to work.  

Once the acid had removed the mirror finish, I took it in the yard and rinsed it off with water, then dried with a towel.  Last, I painted the entire back with the black paint.  Other tutorials said to only paint the exposed spots with black paint, then spray paint the rest but I thought this was a more affordable option that worked just the same.

Once dry, I put the mirror back into the frame and replaced the back.  Project completed for less than $60!  If I'd had more time I might have also considered putting an "A" on the front or the couple's initials - helpful tutorial here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment